Author Topic: Mosqitoes?  (Read 55341 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Mosqitoes?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 06:24:28 PM »
I suffer mosquito bites every year and I am allergic to them. 2 years on trot had to have steroid injections from the local doc!!  Have tried everything but I find the Jungle sprays are very good, but you need to spray as soon as it gets dusk.  If I do get bitten I start to take Piriton tablets straight away and they usually work. We use the plug ins but still find mossies flying around the room, so best thing is keep doors and windows shut as soon as it gets dusk.  Oh and they don't seem to like air conditioning.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »
Take your Jungle Formula out with you as well so you can top up if needed. Roy never gets bit and he puts it down to eating marmite.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
Speros (Nafsika) told us to go and buy cheap insect spray and always spray the room as we go out in the evening.  Windows closed etc.  Plus, I never even go out on the balcony without jungle formula and also the Soltan insect repellant after sun on.  Following this I have managed to beat the little b's for last 4 visits!  Someone also told me that Avon SKIN SO SOFT - DRY OIL BODY SPRAY IS GOOD TO USE TOO.  So, I NEVER wear perfume (the mossies love that) and spray with Avon!  I am definitely prepared.  Got a bite by a horsefly on my foot on the beach 5 years ago - blimey that really did hurt!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »
I am also lucky, I have never had a mozzie bite in Ag. Stef, (in 27 years now), but Linda does get the odd bite though!
Mozzies are a pain, but they like the freshly sunned the best, when skin is reddish, and you have just arrived, I find.

Eat lots of garlic, some say marmite - but it's pot luck - just use the spray!

I always use a mozzie spray there, but I think maybe because I take anti-histamine all summer helps as well.
We always use a plug-in (liquid) in the room as well.

Just sensible precautions.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:56:38 AM »
Speros (Nafsika) told us to go and buy cheap insect spray and always spray the room as we go out in the evening.  Windows closed etc.  Plus, I never even go out on the balcony without jungle formula and also the Soltan insect repellant after sun on.  Following this I have managed to beat the little b's for last 4 visits!  Someone also told me that Avon SKIN SO SOFT - DRY OIL BODY SPRAY IS GOOD TO USE TOO.  So, I NEVER wear perfume (the mossies love that) and spray with Avon!  I am definitely prepared.  Got a bite by a horsefly on my foot on the beach 5 years ago - blimey that really did hurt!

Speros gave us the same advice and it works well!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
I would say try all the above, and stick with whatever works - funnily enough - I get gnat bites at home but not mozzies - strange!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
Ive heard that coating yourself in the juice of a Kumquat wards them off!!

YANNIS26

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
Ive heard that coating yourself in the juice of a Kumquat wards them off!!
I always  wondered why I never get bit. Now I know it is down to the copious amounts of Kumquaut jam I consume at a certain hotel in San Stefanos.On second thoughts this is a very old story and probably best if it is not revisited.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 03:50:25 AM »
is that because someone got better jam - - - or more - - - perhaps?

- - - no surely not - - -  back to the post!

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
Hi

My wife reacts very badly to mozzy bites but the last couple of times we have been she has been ok. Two weeks before we go and while we are there we take vitamin B1 and garlic tablets, and use a 100% deet spray.
Works for us

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
The mossies are extremely voracious at the moment and were very obvious at dinner at the LP last night. I was bitten three times the first night after stupidly forgetting to put on the spray ??? They still got me twice the second night in spite of being covered in the stuff and a small bite to the forehead last night, the only bit of me not sprayed. As ever, Beryl has not been bitten. The wing commander in charge of the mosquito squadrons must be telling them to target the big ugly Scotsman, he's an easy target ;D Anyway, we now need to buy more spray, perhaps taking a flamethrower to the reeds might also help!!!

We got our own back a bit last night, managing to kill a few at the table, one was trying to drink my Mythos, completely unforgiveable!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:34 AM »
It always amazes me how some people are never bothered by mosquito's and others are plagued night after night! As I fall in the latter category I feel unfairly treated! It appears that some people just smell more attractive to the things, a mixture of sweat and carbon dioxide I believe? Anyhow  I'm sure I read that many  of the recommended home grown protective measures, garlic, vitamins etc have never been scientifically proven to work. However if something appears to work for you I guess that's all that matters! For me its DEET it makes me less attractive to mozzies and the missus! As all biting mosquito's are female, I wonder if its just a woman thing!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »
Wondered what that pong was that used to float round the Romanza around 7pm each night........reminded me of muck spreading in Thirsk!!

YANNIS26

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
Wondered what that pong was that used to float round the Romanza around 7pm each night........reminded me of muck spreading in Thirsk!!
Gav
Now you know why the mosquitos keep well away.
An added bonus is being a Yorkshire lad  the fresh countryside smell stops me getting homesick.
I better just clarify one small point which may stop you being barred when you return to the Romanza.It is not Nitsas Kumquat jam you can smell.It is that well known skin softener that is said to protect you from mosquitos.I was told from a trusted source that its main ingredient is Essence of Yorkshire Dung.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:49:09 AM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
We get bitten on the odd occassion but find the Jungle Formula and taking anti histimines starting a few days before we go usually works. Last August we didn't get a single bite in 2 weeks.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni