Author Topic: Thomsons Clever Marketing Trick to make you book in a Panic  (Read 12238 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Thomsons Clever Marketing Trick to make you book in a Panic
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:05:26 AM »
I noticed when I booked our Family party into the Athina, (and this is across the board when I checked a few others out),
that Thomson's say "Just 1 room left", or "Just 3 rooms left".
Crap! - they actually had 22 rooms left.

I had trouble with the website so I phoned the Thomson's booking line on 0871 231 4691.
I was transferred eventually by the phone system, & answered by a lovely girl based in the North in a First Choice Shop.

Strange I thought so while doing my booking and getting the web-save price still, she told me they had closed all the old call centres (sacked most of the staff)
and now calls were put through to the shop girls, all over the UK.
So when things get busy, expect delays and don't forget they are holding you on a line that costs a lot more than a normal land-line.
Save some money and phone this shop direct on 01744 735 205, or your local shop, if you have a problem booking on the web,
and say you had a website problem to keep the web discount.

I told her that I was worried about only 2 rooms left showing on the net, as I had others in the family wanting to book more rooms, (well I had to find out)!!
she phoned and checked and they actually had 22 rooms left out of 44, for my weeks.

So - - it just proves you should not panic to book when it says one room left!! Another Thomson's sales pressure technique!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Thomsons Clever Marketing Trick to make you book in a Panic
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:53 PM »
Absolutely right! Before we left SS in October I said to mine host that I was amazed they were fully-booked for Set 11 according to Thomson's web site. He issued forth a rude Greek expression and said this was policy to make the resort look busy.

If in doubt, I suggest phoning the apartment.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
Yep same too with my sister's in laws who are coming out to SS in June, same tactic was used, only the 1 room left!!!! at the Thomas Bay, told them not to panic but they did book it so will be lovely to see them summer 2011 as it will be there 1st experience not only of SS but of Greece.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »
Ah the old 'Fear Close'

I use this all the time in sales. Only available today mate, wont be able to do this price next week, not got much support left for this product so you'll have to be quick etc etc

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »
Yes Guys, the oldest trick in the book, funnily enough, they only had one room left back in November as well!!
Oh! Well!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
It said only 3 rooms left when I booked ours for Teresa next September and it still said this a few weeks later as well
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »
Kinda of true - just it's a different 3 rooms - then another 3 rooms etc etc LOL

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Oh what a bunch of cads - in Blighty too. Imagine, in this day and age. Who would have thought!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:26 AM »
Everyone!! LOL

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:28 AM »
See the thread in rip-off Thompson - on the last room left subject!!

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »
Not just Thomsons, Thomas Cook do the same.  I had a guest email me as they couldn't book the Vicky, no availabilty.  I tried to book myself, same thing, but the worst thing of all, was, every alternative holiday was for Turkey.  No other choice was offered.  I said to call head office.  They did and lo and behold, they got the dates and flights they wanted  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
The price fluctuations on the Thomson site are fascinating. If I'd started earlier I would have captured the data and generated a graph. It's a bit complex, because you have to take airports into consideration.

As a simple example on tonight's prices going to Little Prince on July 8 for two weeks:

Gatwick       £530
Bristol         £575
Leeds         £579
Birmingham  £584
Doncaster   £593
Manchester £620
Edinburgh   £765

Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham are TUI's hub airports, so they probably get a price-break in the landing charges - but compare Manchester and Doncaster! Doncaster is a massive 35 miles closer to Kerkyra than Manchester, so no real fuel cost difference. Edinburgh is about 130 miles further than Manchester or Doncaster at 1544 miles - so the noble Scots would pay £73 each for the privilege.

Being a nerd helps sometimes.  There was a sudden dip about six weeks ago, and I immediately booked Little Prince for £496. So far, that's the lowest it's been. Keep a constant eye on the prices is probably a good rule!

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:35 AM »
I'm offended Jimbo, there's no mention of Glasgow lol.

In all seriousness.  It is very frustrating for the hoteliers in and around the village, and i'm pretty sure it's the same for the rest of Corfu, when guests are told there's no availability on their chosen hotel/apartments.  The best thing to happen for Corfu is Easyjet and Ryanair.  For those that live in and around the main hub airports, it gives greater flexibility on travel dates and times.  It's just a pity there never seems to be any cheap flights from Scotland.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 02:44:17 AM »
No flights from Glasgow available. Can't get a price.

My best buddy is going out with a Glaswegian woman with red hair and blue eyes who's a martial arts expert.

My ex-wife has a terrier.

I'm scared. I'm really scared!!

Note to self: be nice.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
Flights ex Glasgow in middle of July.....would be fully booked zonks ago. Easier to find hen's teeth I'm afraid.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni