Author Topic: Taxi's  (Read 16390 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Taxi's
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »
It really does depend where you live and how much suffering you want to put up with.

Taking July 15 for 14 nights:

Thomson from Doncaster: £299 pp = £598
EasyJet from Gatwick = £281.16 pp = £562

Train fare from Hull to Gatwick return for 2 = £180
Hotel overnight in Gatwick =  approx £80

Or approx £75 petrol to have a long drive

So - allowing for £100 for taxi: EasyJet cost for us using train = approx £842
                                          EasyJet using car approx £717

Doncaster petrol approx £15 : Thomson cost =  £613

Add to this: journey times Hull to Gatwick and back 10 hours + overnight; Hull to Doncaster and back 100 minutes.

If you were us would you take the apparently cheaper £36 flight difference with EasyJet as a no-brainer or would you take the total travel cost into account? Unless you live next to the perimeter fence of a budget airline you have to look at a broader picture.

What counts is the actual overall cost - not the raw flight! I could pedal-lo from Hull to Corfu for nothing. So what? It would take about 18 days of continuous leg-work, but it's the cheapest deal.

Let's not make these mathematically dubious comparisons! 

YANNIS26

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
I am with you Jimbo.Lots of things need taking into account when comparing Easyjet/Taxi verses Thomson/bus.It is about time we put this old chestnut to bed. Especially when all Susan wanted to know was how she got a taxi from the airport to San Stefanos.
A belated welcome to the forum Susan ,have a great holiday at the Romanza.If you wish to know any details about the hotel or San Stefanos please ask.
Back to the subject of Easyjet V Thomsons here are a few simple guidelines in making your decision.
I base these on a cost basis only. I realise that reasons other than cost can come into the equation.
1 You need access to both airlines where the travel time and costs to either, including parking are not restrictive.
2 Having achieved this it is a fact that booking Easyjet when the flights are first announced is the far cheaper option.If you include a taxi transfer with  Noula at San Stefanos travel you will still save money against Thomsons.
3 It is a fact that as Easyjet flights fill up the price rises.This being the case as time passes the savings reduce until Easyjet may no longer be the cheap option.
4 If like me you have access to 6 airports within1-3 hrs of home here is another way of saving money if you have the nerve.Book your hotel only either indy or package.Now wait till the very last minute to book the flight and you should get a bargain price from at least one of the airports.Now book the flight and transfer with Thomsons. 
I hope the posting is helpful and brings an end to the never ending comparisons.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »
And here was me thinking it was the Scottish who knew the price of a pound! My ghast has been well and truly flabbered at all this knowledge.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
Thanks, Yannis. And loftyscot.  And the Academy for giving me the Oscar.

The other factor is apparent versus real prices. I just looked up jet2 from Leeds/Bradford to Corfu at around the same time. The headline price for 2 people is £387.96. Great. But when you click through the additions of taxes and booking and baggage bring it up to £570.92

At today's prices we could stay at Romanza via Thomson, flight included, for two weeks for a total of £966. That makes the accommodation cost about £400 in total.

Not all is easy in the relative costs of DIY versus package.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Tend to agree with you Jimbo. We investigated going to Disneyland Paris on our local holiday weekend in June. We can travel to Paris from Edi using Sleasyjet, Air France or Ruinair Alternatively we can drive to Glasgow and have the choice of FlyBe too. Guess what.......Air France offers the best deal!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
Not wishing to "stir" things up, but my friend in Corfu cannot beleive the prices quoted for a taxi fare to San Stef from the airport.  He reckons about half the price if you take both journeys (there and back).

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:15 AM »
Rod, what prices does your friend in Corfu believe the taxi fare should be? half the prices quoted recently  (£50 each way) would be unbelievably cheap!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:35:40 AM by Waspman »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
My understanding is that the summer 2011 fares haven't as yet been confirmed by the Taxi Union/commitee/members?  However based on last summer depending on whether you prebooked or jumped in a taxi from outside airport prices varied, approx 55 euros for prebooked (non shared private taxi) and sometimes 70 euros from outside airport.  These prices are with registered taxi's.  Some people also arrange minibus transfers for 5 plus people and then share costs, either booking with the travel agents in resorts or sometimes some owners have their own minibuses as well and may offer this as a reduced or even in some instances free or part of the package service.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
There are three taxi unions in Corfu, the blue taxi union which are the town taxis, the silver north and south taxis, the silver north based in Roda being the cheapest, but they only have 21 cabs.  I'm given to understand that they publish their price lists in late April.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
Taxi's - we would love to find a cheaper option - but where?
I tend to agree with Yannis on the total cost is king! - but the holiday must be what you want as well!
i.e. sometimes if you want a certain Hotel - or type of board - the price comes second in the priority ratings!!

We tend to travel only from Gatwick or Luton, with Stanstead as a third outside option.
We usually always have to drive unless we can get a lift, so parking at the airport is always included in our budget.
All airports are around an hour from us.

Then I find out accomodation costs, both indy and Thomsons, add a transfer if required.
The key can be the flight costs plus extra's  v  Package holiday cost - including all the so called extras on the plane.
PLUS - - -  the other consideration is the food budget! Self catering/meals out  v  Half board

Some years it's cheaper to go indy, other years it's a package holiday, so many variables for us.

Gatwick usually comes up cheapest for us when we check, but we always cost the whole thing out,
and look at every option. If it's a close call, we would always choose the indy route as we love that holiday best!

This year we are taking the Family, Mark/Rita and both grandkids, plus Rita's young sister & her friend.
For this reason we decided to go half-board and booked the Athina when it came up and was cheap enough to be our first choice.
In fact we booked it through First Choice (still TUi), as it goes!

Myself and Linda it's fine - we can eat out when we like, my son has a tight budget so Half board means he can forget the price of meals, the kids can eat well and he only needs the price of drinks and a lunch snack if required.#
Whatever happens, he will eat every day, no one will go without.
Our best kind of holiday means we will eat out every day, but we like this as part of our holiday, so look at it differently, especially when we travel just on our own!

You take you choice basically, but which ever you choose you can't go wrong in San Stefanos!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline susan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.
I have now booked with Noula at a cost of 55 euros, 1 way.
She did say that if more people were on the flight and wanted a taxi we may get it cheaper if we share.
I'm looking forward to the holiday and hopefully some decent weather.
Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Susan

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 04:08:01 AM »
Have a great Holiday Susan, when are you going?
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »
hi,we go to ss in august,do you think we could get a mini bus for 15 from the airport to the athina,cant bare the thought of the long coach journey
regards  debs

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:03 PM »
Yes for sure u cn email info@kapetanioscorfu.com give the flight info and he will quote the price as I am sure will be others as well.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni