Author Topic: The new Euro Rate - So what is it worth today in 2010  (Read 65037 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: The new Euro Rate - So what is it worth today in 2010
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
Cash here everytime. As regards the Post Office you would get a better deal on line for any of the major companies.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
I think you've missed the point Tony.  You will always get a better deal if you pay by Nationwide, Post Office or Zero Santander Credit cards as, unlike nearly all other credit cards (Lloyds, HSBC etc) they have no European loading charges.  One point to mention is that some tavernas and supermarkets will charge you 2% extra to use any credit card, but I think this is rare. 

In May when I went to SS the best Euro exchange rate was 113 Euros to one GB Pound, but using my Nationwide credit card it was 2 to 3 Euros more.  Hence you will be better off using one of these cards rather than cash, that's if all tavernas will accept them now, see my earlier posting to see why many do not like accepting cards of any nature. 

YANNIS26

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
I think you've missed the point Tony.  You will always get a better deal if you pay by Nationwide, Post Office or Zero Santander Credit cards as, unlike nearly all other credit cards (Lloyds, HSBC etc) they have no European loading charges.  One point to mention is that some tavernas and supermarkets will charge you 2% extra to use any credit card, but I think this is rare. 

In May when I went to SS the best Euro exchange rate was 113 Euros to one GB Pound, but using my Nationwide credit card it was 2 to 3 Euros more.  Hence you will be better off using one of these cards rather than cash, that's if all tavernas will accept them now, see my earlier posting to see why many do not like accepting cards of any nature. 

Hi Waspman
I believe we have a misunderstanding here. Tony I believe is talking about the poor rate given for changing money over the PO counter not the Post Office credit card.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
Hi Yiannis, I don't think you're right.  Tony made no mention of the Post Office (either credit card or PO counter).  He did indicate that cash is king and a credit card is used for back up only, whereas I believe it's better to use the correct credit card and you get a better exchange rate for doing so.

YANNIS26

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi Yiannis, I don't think you're right.  Tony made no mention of the Post Office (either credit card or PO counter).  He did indicate that cash is king and a credit card is used for back up only, whereas I believe it's better to use the correct credit card and you get a better exchange rate for doing so.
Hi Waspman
My apologies,I wrongly put recent postings regarding the poor exchange rate at the P.O counter down to Tony.I think age must be catching up with me .In fact the posters were Sunshine & Jules so I guess my eyesight as well as my mind is on its way out.
Sorry for the confusion.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2010, 01:41:55 AM »
No problem Yiannis, see you on 25th June, we'll have a few early morning cups of coffee together with Leo

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
SS travel exchange rate was 1.18 on Thursday

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Thanks Gordon - thats exactly the info I wanted to know .. I'll change my money over there in that case
San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
Will the budget next week make the Euro less here
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
I strongly suspect that the pound will weaken after the announcement of the deficit tomorrow. After that it depends on what the currency gamblers think of the Terrible Twins' formula to put half the country out of work!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
Just been checking onlineand I have found today

Post Office    €1.1665
Thomson       €1.1779
Co-op           €1.1782
Thomas Cook €1.183   

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »
TravelFx gives 1.1850  today.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »
To Gordonc

Was the exchange rate in SS before or after the 2% commission that they always charge?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »
Hi Waspman - sorry, was not too clear.
I have a credit card and debit card with HSBC - their new Advance account scheme, I pay Ł12 a month and get for that charge, Annual travel Insurance, Card Guard, Car breakdown/recovery (not homecall though but for any car you are in a 1/4 mile or more from your home), a few other discount things and NO CHARGES for using the cards abroad for cash, unless you don't pay it back of course!!
We always take a wad of currency and only use Cards if we run low!
No method is perfect and you can lose cash or be robbed I suppose - then - cards don't always work - it's a chance you take!!
We find if you take cash, Pounds, or Euro's - it's just so easy to do things.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »
Hi Tony

You're right. a mixture of all (zero commission credit cards, GB pounds, Euros and of course Travellers Cheques) are best to take with you, although in general, debit cards will cost you far more.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni